Come join us for our first farm tour of the year and experience a magical summer evening at Windrose Farm in Paso Robles:
When: Saturday and Sunday, August 12 and 13, 2006
Where: Windrose Farm in Paso Robles (more details below)
Cost: $75 for Slow Food members, $90 for non members. Cost includes Saturday dinner, wine, farm tour, and Sunday lunch
Drive to Paso Robles on Saturday, August 12 (directions below, approximate driving time 3.5 to 4 hours from L.A. area) and meet at the farm at 3:00pm, where you will be greeted by Bill and Barbara Spencer. Then experience the bucolic beauty of their farm on a self-guided walk, visit with the farm animals, or simply relax under the magnificent old oak tree.
Dinner will be California Rancho style, and will be served around 6:30pm, outdoors. Wine will be included with the meal. After dinner you are welcome to stay for some stargazing of the Perseid meteor shower, or you can return to your place of lodging.
We meet again at the farm the next morning after breakfast at 10:00pm, at which time we will be taken on a formal tour of the farm by Bill Spencer. We will then be treated to a lunch featuring farm produce from Windrose Farm and friends. There will also be farm produce available for purchase, including the delicious heirloom tomatoes that Windrose Farm is known for. After that it will be time to say goodbye to the Spencers and to head for home.
This event is limited to 30 people. We suggest that you reserve a room right away, as Paso Robles is a popular vacation getaway due to the many wineries in the area.
There is a trailer available on the farm that is available for $250 for the weekend. If interested, contact Bill or Barbara Spencer at 809.239.3757. You may also wish to contact the Paso Robles Inn (phone: 805.238.2660; web: http://www.pasoroblesinn.com) or the Chamber of Commerce (phone: 805.238.0506; web: http://www.pasorobleschamber.com).
To make a reservation, send an email to mindypfeiffer [at] sbcglobal [dot] net.
Please pay your money promptly to confirm your reservation. Once you have paid, if you change your mind we will be unable to refund your money. Your check will confirm your reservation. We must have your check no later than Monday, August 7, in order to give the Spencers time to plan the size of the dinner and lunch.
Make checks payable to Windrose Farm, and send to:
P.O. Box 91536
Pasadena, CA 91109
We also suggest:
1. Wear layers, weather can range from hot to cold
2. Bring a hat
3. Bring a bottle of water
4. Wear comfortable closed toe shoes
5. Bring sunscreen
6. Bring a cooler in case you purchase produce
Directions to Windrose Farm (from L.A. area):
1. Take the 101 headed North, after you pass Atascadero, start watching for the Vineyard exit a few miles further on.
2. Take the Vineyard exit at Templeton and go right (east). Continue (total about 6 miles) on El Pomar until you reach a T.
3. Turn left (north) onto Cripple Creek, continue for a couple of miles until you reach another T.
4. Turn right (east) onto Creston Rd.
5. Go 1/2 mile and make a hard left onto Geneseo Rd.
6. Go 1/4 mile (don’t go up the hill) but turn right onto El Pharo. This curves around a bit, then you will see a white and green sign with an arrow for Windrose Farm.
7. Go left and this turns into their driveway. Whew! You made it!
Hints: All the turns en route alternate between left and right. You shouldn’t be going up any real hills. If you get lost you call Bill and Barbara at 805.239.3757.