September 13, 2008 | by snailwrangler | Posted in
Farm, In Other Media, Slow Food Nation
Tom Philpott of Grist has posted his observations of and several videos from and related to Slow Food Nation:
- Eric Schlosser, author of Fast Food Nation, talks about the need to consider the rights of workers who help bring the food from the farm to our plates.
- Considering the “fair” component of the “Good, Clean, Fair” Manifesto of Quality, “Farmworkers at the Table,” a report on labor rights discussion at Slow Food Nation convened by Schlosser.
- Raj Patel, author of Stuffed and Starved, talks about the false sense of choice faced by food consumers.
- Chef Dan Barber talks about the inspiration he gleans from farms.
- Added September 15: Andrew Kimbrell, executive director of the Center for Food Safety, asks what happened to the promises of biotechnology, and offers a few answers about how science has fallen short of expectations.
- Added September 16: Anna Lappé, food activist and coauthor of Grub, talks about the connection between food and climate change.